|Job Title:||POOL LIFEGUARD I - TEMPORARY PART TIME (YEAR ROUND OPERATIONS)|
|Opening Date/Time:||Fri. 04/01/11 12:00 AM Eastern Time|
$14.97 - $20.05 Hourly
|Job Type:||Part Time|
|Location:||Parks and Recreation Dept, Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
|Department:||Parks and Recreation|
The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.
This is work of average difficulty in lifeguarding at a municipal pool, which may include organizing and conducting recreational activities, and assisting in site supervision.
An employee in this class is responsible for the supervision and instruction of swimming and a variety of recreational activities at a municipal pool or recreational facility, and the prompt performance of emergency lifesaving and first aid skills as occasions require. Although incidental assignments may include custodial tasks, recruitment is on the basis of swimming skills and ability to perform water rescue and first aid activities. Specific assignments are made by a supervisor who checks to see that lifeguards are alert at all times and that assigned tasks are performed according to instructions. The employee works under immediate supervision, exercising some initiative and independent judgment.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
1. Possess a valid American Red Cross C.P.R. for the Professional Rescuer and a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and First Aid Certificate, or equivalent, prior to appointment.
2. Possess a current and valid American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certificate, or be able to obtain one within six (6) months from date of appointment.
3. Some positions may require a valid American Red Cross Waterfront/Waterpark Lifeguard Certificate, or be able to obtain one within six (6) months from date of appointment.
4. All required certifications, whether possessed at time of application or obtained after appointment, must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
5. Must be able to successfully pass a performance test which includes simulated pool rescues. This test must be successfully passed every six (6) months after employment.
6. A valid State of Florida driver's license may be required.
PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF EACH CERTIFICATION TO YOUR APPLICATION
|THE EXAMINATION AND HOW TO APPLY:|
MEDICAL EXAMINATION - Prior to being hired, candidates are required to successfully complete a medical examination by the City of Fort Lauderdale’s licensed physician. A drug screen test is part of this examination.
To obtain information regarding Lifeguard Training or Water Safety Instructor courses administered by the American Red Cross Association contact:
American Red Cross - Broward County Chapter
Telephone: (954) 797-3800 or www.ARCBCC.org
The results of the performance test will be valid for thirty (30) days only. Unsuccessful applicants or those not hired within 30 days, must reapply and retake the test after 30 days. The skills listed below in the performance tests are representative but not all-inclusive of the performance test requirements.
In order to be eligible for a Pool Lifeguard I position with the City of Fort Lauderdale, you must:
1. Be able to swim 200 yards in four (4) minutes or less.
2. Successfully pass a performance test consisting of demonstrating:
a. Swimming extension rescue
b. Active rear rescue w/ buoy
c. Passive rear rescue w/ buoy
d. Multiple victim rescue w/ buoy
e. Submerged victim rescue
f. Removal of victim from water
g. C.P.R. Skills
APPLICATIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AND THE HIRING AUTHORITY WILL CONTACT THOSE APPLICANTS WHOSE APPLICATION REFLECTS THE BEST MATCH OF EXPERIENCE FOR THE POSITION.